Friday, July 22, 2011

TGIF Update

As some of you may already know, yesterday dad was discharged from the hospital!  This 17 day hospital stay certainly had its ups and downs, but over the last few days there was tremendous improvement seen in dad's overall health.  It is a joyous site to see him up and walking around, if only for a minute.  As my mom says, "it's so nice to have Steve back". 

Now mom and dad are back in their apartment in the Texas Medical Center and continue his care as needed.  Hopefully dad can get some sleep now that he won't have someone checking his vitals, drawing blood, or administering medication every two hours.  It is important that he gets some rest and builds his strength for his appointments (2) with MD Anderson next week.  We will officially transfer his care for the next steps in his treatment to MD Anderson, and I think we are all excited about the possibilities.

In addition to the welcomed news of dad's discharge we also welcomed two of dad's brothers to Houston!  Uncle Bill and Uncle Rick, along with Aunt Wilma, whom all arrived yesterday.  It is always a blessing to have family around - nothing is more comforting.  Of course, we have my sister, Echo, and her two girls in town for a while longer as well.  There's lots of rallying around Steve!

Speaking of rallying around Steve.  If anyone was not aware, my dad is a very proud alumnus of the University of Arizona (U of A) in Tucson. To go along with that, he is also an avid fan of U of A athletics. So, on June 28th I took a stab in the dark and sent an email to the Athletics Director at U of A. I explained to them who my father is and what he is currently going through. I asked if they would send him something to encourage him to keep fighting and 'bear down'! Well, three weeks went by and I got no response. I was beginning to wonder if I should try again, although I didn't really know if my emails were going anywhere and I was sure the Athletic Director was extremely busy anyway. Then, on Wednesday night a package arrived at my house from the Arizona Intercollegiate Athletics office. It was a signed basketball by the players along with a card to dad signed by the Head Basketball Coach, Head Football Coach, and Athletics Director and they each wrote a personal note to dad! Truly amazing and I couldn't have been happier to give it to him yesterday. I still can't believe they read the email and acted on it. I have thanked them (Athletics Administration) profusely and have since received an email from the athletics director.

There are lots of small miracles happening everyday!  I can't wait to tell you what happens next.  Keep the positive energy and prayers headed dad's way.

Steve and Ryan with the signed basketball and card from UofA coaches and players

Grandpa and Grandma Braden (maternal grandparents) with their Superman bands!

Pam's friend Courtney, who "always has her band on"


  1. Hi Steve

    When in KL last week, Lily Ngeau told me about what happened. I have worn a Superman band since then.

    I am so glad to know that you have left hospital.

    God is surely with you.

    Please stay strong my friend.

    Andrew Carnegie

  2. What a fabulous story about the University of Arizona coaches and players and their incredible support! Steve has an effect on people who haven't even met him! I am so glad that Steve is out of Methodist Hospital and continuing to amaze so many with his physical, mental and spiritual strength. I'm praying that the treatments this week go well. Love to all, Marcy